Abandoned segment: Polvo (Junction), Tucson, to Vail, Arizona
(last edit: 7/26/15)
This segment was part of the original Southern Pacific line that reached Tucson from Phoenix on March 20, 1880. The line continued east to Vail; Benson; to Lordsburg, New Mexico, and opening to El Paso on May 26, 1881. Southern Pacific filed an abandonment petition with the Interstate Commerce Commission in June, 1951.
Rita Ranch: Abandoned segment at southeast corner of Houghton & Rita Roads
The photo gallery below document the right-of-way at this corner. The gallery opens with a Google satellite view of this segment, with markers indicating where the photo were taken. You can also click on the markers on the above interactive map (best zoomed in on this segment) to view the photos.
- SP ROW Rita Ranch segment SE corner of Houghton Rd & Rita Rd The markers show the locations of the following photos. You can also click on the markers on the map to see the photos.
- 2015-07-26 14.33.25 web Looking northwest from the southeast corner of Houghton Road & Rita Road. The right of way would continue diagonally through the intersection and the Bank of America building on the northwest corner.
- 2015-07-26 14.30.20 web Looking at the northwest end of this segment.
- 2015-07-26 14.25.44 web Looking southeast.
- 2015-07-26 14.28.38 web The southeast end of this small segment.